Our resident stylist Abigail is now going to be contributing regularly to our blog. Abigail styles, art directs and consults for a diverse range of editorial and commercial clients as well as designing residential interior schemes and creative workspaces.
Abigail has recently designed her first hand drawn wallpaper collection. We are very excited to have her on board. Find out more about her at www.abigailedwards.com
After many years of grey being a classic fall back of the sophisticated but trend led interior, flesh tones have started to creep in. You can still use a pale grey as your base colour if you wish but make sure it is a warm grey rather than blue toned. Add hints of oyster and pale flesh pink that whilst still neutral create a slightly more gentle and cocooning atmosphere.
Flesh from Schiele
Loft conversions we love!
This season has seen an abundance of animal skin patterns in the shops but this time round they are bright! This may sound alarming but cast images of Kat from East Enders from your head and think more of luxe textures and a sophisticated 70’s vibe with warm jewel colours.
Outdoor living is becoming ever more comfortable. Instead of knee-grazing bistro tables and spindly metal seats, think woven furniture and terrace cushions.
Eating outside has never been so fun. Take inspiration from Brideshead Revisited and Jane Austen classics. You can find unusual outdoor furniture and picnicware at HomeSense at up to 60% less. Make your garden unique this Summer.
I had lunch in the garden today too. This picture reminds me of my favourite hotel where they know how to eat ‘en plein air’ in style. The tasteful simplicity is what makes La Colombe D’Or one of the best destinations.
Yesterday I was discussing the flowers that I want for my wedding (I’m getting married next March and already planning the flowers). I think this an adorable idea for displaying flowers. I think I would rather they were on the tables in odd old washed out bottles though. Love the eccentricity. Did you know that Homesense has over 100 styles of vase instore?
Now that the nights are lighter and warmer, not only is it time to change to a lighter weight duvet and bring some freshness into the bedroom space, it’s also a time to make sure your sleep patterns are not affected by the seasonal change. Follow our tips for getting a great night’s sleep:
1) Make sure your bed is inviting. Wash bed linen regularly – there’s nothing nicer than settling down in crisp sheets that smell fresh and lovely. Look for sheets made with a high thread count for a super luxurious feel. And consider investing in a new duvet set – there are lots of lovely pastels, florals and stripes around that have a happy, calming effect.
2) Keep a sleep schedule. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time’s everyday so your body clock gets into the habit.
3) Create a calm environment. Switch off any electronic appliances and close your windows if you can, to reduce noise levels. Make sure your curtains block out the morning light so you don’t wake up prematurely.
4) Turn your mattress. This can help improve your sleeping position as well as prolong the life of the mattress as it distributes weight more evenly across the springs.
5) Include pre-sleep preparation in your schedule. Take half an hour to relax, either with a wram (not too hot) bath, a soothing drink (try chamomile tea) or a good (but not too riveting) book.
6) Try to do some exercise every day to ensure your body feels the need to sleep and recover itself
7) Invest in some lightly scented candles, pillow spritzers and essential oil rollers to promote relaxation.
Hope you’re loving our new summer photography. We shot it all on Camber Sands in Sussex – such a beautiful place! Here are 5 things you may not have known about Camber…
1) It is a place of scientific and geographical interest due to its large sand dune system. It is the only existing system in the whole of East Sussex.
2) Camber has become a popular destination for kitesurfing, kiteboarding and kitebuggying.
3) The beach has been featured in numerous films including Dunkirk (1958), The Longest Day (1962) and Carry On Follow that Camel (1967.)
4) Camber Sands has featured in pop songs too including Reverend and the Makers’ ‘Heavyweight Champion of the World’ and it is the title of a Fatboy Slim EP
5) Over the years there have been a few ships sink off the Camber, including The City of Delhi, The S.S. Alton Towers, S.S.H.A. Brightman, Queen Victoria of Dublin and the Van Domien, to name a few.
Toad in the Hole
This winter warmer has been a family favourite for generations and is guaranteed to make you feel fulfilled and contented on a cold winter evening.
- 8 pork sausages
- 150g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 300ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp of vegetable or sunflower oil
- Heat the oven to 200C and bake the sausages in a large oven proof dish for 20 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and put to one side.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 210C, add the oil to the dish and return to the oven for 10 minutes until the oil is really hot.
- Meanwhile, place the flour in a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs and salt.
- Using a whisk, start beating the eggs taking the flour in from the edge little by little. The egg mixture will almost do this process for you by sticking to the egg mixture in the middle. As it becomes thicker, add a little milk and continue the process until all the flour is combined, there are no lumps and the mixture has the consistency of double cream.
- Carefully remove the oven dish from the oven and pour in the batter
- Arrange the sausages in the batter and return to the oven
- Bake for 30 minutes being careful not to open the oven during the cooking or it will turn out like a pancake!
- Serve with hot buttery mashed potato and lashings of gravy
We’re delighted to announce that the winner of our £1,000 shopping spree is Kamila, who received the most likes for her elephant money box find.
Kamila is really excited about spending her prize as she has just bought her first house with her partner Peter which needs to be furnished from top to bottom! She couldn’t believe her luck and is looking forward to choosing the items on her shopping list which include lamps, mirrors, rugs, furniture and kitchenware from her local HomseSense store – happy spending!
Clcik here to find your nearst HomeSense store or shop online now.
The chance to win £250 is just a click away! To enter the draw all you have to do is click on the link and become a fan on our facebook page.